Sunday, October 29, 2006

10-29-06: Real World Wake Up call moment.

Who here is a manager at their job? At the same time, how many of them already put in 50+ hours of work per week and feel that it goes unappreciated? Now, couple that with an assistant manager who gets sick on the ONLY WEEKEND you can schedule yourself off, and due to the STUPIDITY of the company only allowing THREE keyholders, you suddenly find yourself having to sacrifice your own personal time for the company. Now how many of you suck it up and do it because you "have to" and how many just bottle it up?

Here's the problem with this situation. Apparently, said assistant manager has had this problem for over a week. I'm one for toughing it out, too, so this issue is something where I would probably end up being guilty of the same thing, but the problem lies here...if you are puking blood...see a doctor. If you are shitting blood, same thing. These are true words to live by. He waited...and waited...and waited...to the only time I had off, rather than going to the doctor/hospital when it first started, so that by the weekend, he should be well rested, and while I'd be cranky having to do this for anyone, I would have still had my day off, rather than having to pull at least another 6 day work week...

See, I don't mind having to work open to close...that's not a problem. I have a serious issue with not getting my time off. It isn't his fault, and mainly, it is the company's fault for not allowing a fourth keyholder, because it forces the manager to make UNHEALTHY LIFE DECISIONS. You find yourself asking questions like, "Can you come in anyway?" and "When will you be back?" But not getting the answers you want to hear, thus creating a void in work.

And who ends up the sickest? The manager that doesn't get to rest, is unappreciated for all his ass-busting hard work, and doesn't get to spend time with his wife and family because of the stupid fucking system.

Its a retarded world we live in, and forcing me to do things that I don't want to do because it hurts my livelihood is exactly why I hate retail and why if anyone would offer me $15 an hour to sell...I'd jump at the opportunity because I don't want the burden, and all I DO want is to do what I do best, but in my situation...that's just not possible.

No comments: