Friday, July 22, 2005

Wizard World Atlanta - BOOO!!!

HEy, I know its been almost two weeks since my last report, but heck, work is driving me nutty and definitely taking too much wind out of my sails...but I wanted to comment on something.

Wizard, the magazine company for the comic industry has decided that it wants to hold a convention in Atlanta the same weekend as HEROES CON 06. This sucks for a small show like Heroes Con, since ultimately, the larger convention will end up squeezing the life out of the smaller show, and with it only being about 6 hours from each other, will totally make creators want to go to the larger venue.

Artists and writers from Gaijin Studios, Desperado Publishing, Bryan Hitch and Greg Rucka have already said that they intend to go to Heroes Con, and I continue to stay with my tradition of going to Heroes as well, because the people that you meet at that show are always interesting, and its cozy enough to have a 2 hour conversation after the show with the likes of Tom Feister, Tony Harris, John Cassaday and others.

It upsets me that knowing what I know of the industry, people that I have a lot of respect for in the industry, like Joe Q, Ethan Van Sciver, Brandon Peterson and more will opt to go to the larger convention because its a bigger spotlight, and you really can't blame them for doing so. But it'd be a lot nicer to be able to go to the smaller, more down to earth con, and be able to get to know these guys.

Hell, what other show had Comics' Legend, Dave Cockrum at it this year? None. And why? Because he'd rather not be exploited, and I have to tell you, with everything that man has gone through, as a comic fan, I felt truly touched knowing that I had a ten minute conversation with him when he was just going around the con floor in his wheelchair, as he brought the industry one of my favorite characters (Nightcrawler) and his work continues to inspire.

Anyway, I thought I'd chime in that I would love to go to a Wizard convention, but I'll be attending Heroes Con because the only time I met Shelton, I thought he was a class act, and I admire that.

No comments: