

Mike Wieringo was one of the best comic creators I've ever met. As a person, he was a great man. I met him a long time ago at HEROES CON, and in fact, he was one of the few creators that while working for the big guys, would sneak some of us little creator's work into his pages, as you can see from the picture of ARDY on the back of Peter Parker's shirt from Sensational Spider-Man #21.
Mike had a way about him, and a grace on the pages. My words won't do him enough justice, since overall, I only got to see him at one convention a year, but every year, I'd say, "Hey Mike, you drew my character Ardy on Peter Parker's shirt back in the day," and he'd retort, "Yeah, Rob, right? How's Ardy doing these days anyhow?"
He was a pro in comics and from what I knew, a pro in life. His slick linework but known drama will be missed greatly, especially since he was a creator who knew how to make great comics.
It's weird. Just last night, I downloaded three pieces of his art that were penciled pieces (one he colored as well), and I was toying with coloring them. The first one that I played with is this Shazam and Dr. Sivana piece. I went gruesomely dark with it, because I wanted to show a great amount of drama in it, as well as make the mad scientist look bad ass.
It wasn't until I got home from work twenty minutes ago that I found out the horrific news.
Mike was known for drawing a lot of characters from both Marvel and DC, and now, he's probably constructing the Crossover in the sky with the likes of Kirby, Cockrum and all the others taken from us.
Godspeed, Mike, your work and who you were will be missed.
No comments:
Post a Comment