Saturday, August 04, 2007

8/4/07: Back from vacation, and time to hit with an update...


There seems to be an interesting story behind these two cell phone photos I took this week, but all I can say is that SHIT seemed to be the theme of the vacation.

I told myself I was going to work on THIEF, TAGGER and TAVA while I was away, and technically, I only worked on one of the three, and here's what I'll explain.

I began working on a movie treatment for THIEF. I got into a discussion with longtime friend and publisher of my work, Chris Crosby, about THIEF and he said that it had blockbuster movie written all over it. Okay, maybe blockbuster was not the word he used, but he did say, "Feature Film." He knows the story, and the concept and is very interested in publishing it if and when its ready to see print, but when he told me that he felt that it could be a movie, something I already believed, it made me feel the concept was MUCH stronger than just your average comic, and with the way comic properties are being gobbled up by movie studios, I think this may be the best route to take the project. In fact, its simple to note that EVERYONE would be interested in publishing the title IF it were already greenlit to become a movie. Hell, I'd probably even get to determine my own pricetag.

So alright, other than that, I did two drawings and no other writing. I was just too tired. However, I like the new spin on THIEF and how I opened it up for a movie, possibly even better than the original issues did, which will upset one person tremendously...sorry Eric. It makes me want to write it in a much different way, and for the first time, I think a decompressed four to eight issue ORIGIN miniseries would be MUCH better than how I did the origin in one issue and then led right into the story with the original scripts. Now let me state this...I don't like decompression, but this story is about grief, and being down on your luck. It actually works out better for characterisation to learn slowly about the main character and his troubles. I also developed his relationship with the hero of the story a tad more, so that he really just thinks the hero is a prick, instead of the superhero everyone else sees him as.

I can't go into further detail right now, and I hope everyone understands. This idea is one of the last original ideas out there, and its building off of the heroic ideals we already see from the big two comic companies, without stealing anything. I'm proud this idea came to me, and I'm amazed no one else has gone with it.

TAGGER UPDATE

Yes, I have the itch to write more about the character from LANDIS and Eric Kent is scheduled to be the artist on it. I've told Eric that I'd love to begin updating the elisalandis.com website with original TAGGER pages by the first of the year, but I have to ensure that A) He has a finished script to work on...B) He has enough time to NOT miss any updates and C) That he has the time to make it his finest work to date.

Eric works twice as many hours as me, it seems, and he's doing the brunt of the work by drawing the story, so I have to allot him enough time to stay on schedule. And honestly, I'm not helping any by not keeping up on the script, though I AM in the third issue of it, and after re-reading it, I am happy with how this story is turning out. It makes me glad to know I've been able to keep a quality to my work.

Owen originally said if I could find another artist for LANDIS he'd want to do covers for it to keep his name attached to the project, but I know his plate is OVERFLOWING with projects, so I don't want to try to get him on covers or pinups unless he knows he can do them.

TAVA UPDATE:

Over at JK's deviant art page, yourbuddybuddy.deviantart.com, he now has TAVA prints available, and a really cool fake LEVIs ad starring Ardy and Torch.

More updates on TAVA when I have them. JK's been using his hiatus time to get ahead on pages, and work on other projects, too, so hopefully we'll get more up to speed with all of this in the near future.

Well, that's the comic book update from POTS AND PANS, so hopefully everyone will be satisfied with what I've stated.

Later!

No comments: