Thursday, March 24, 2005

Sin City

So April 1st is almost upon us and I know where I'll be...at the local premiere of SIN CITY, the movie co-directed by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller. As an avid fan of Miller's past works, and a big fan of the graphic novels in question, this looks to be possibly the best adaptation of a comic book to a movie...possibly ever.

That's saying a lot, expecially because in recent years there have been a lot of good ones, including Spider-man 1&2, X-Men 1&2, and still my personal favorite, the Crow.

But Rodriguez did something different. He handed all the actors pages from the books and said, "This is your script." He also had a computer overlay that showed the actual panels from the comic and then the piece from the movie. NO ONE has ever gone to such great lengths as to attempt something like this, but then again, no comic has ever been 100% adaptable without a lot of special effects shots, lots of money, and direction.

Miller has directed films before, notably (or unnotably) Robocop 2 and 3, but both flopped as Universal destroyed his original vision and made the movies hokey, unlike Paul Verhoeven's original, which with points of gratuitous humor and horror, was one of the first movies like that to ever do well...

I look forward to the perfomances by Oscar nominated actors Del Toro and Clive Owen. This movie is shaking with its star power, and if it wasn't for the image being given a 100% testimonial, you better believe that only one or two of them MAY have said okay.

As a side note, I may start uploading some of the art I've been drawing recently, as I intend to actually do some Frank Miller inspired pieces, and have already begun. Probably on Easter, I'll put up a pic of Infinity as drawn in my awful attempt of Frank Miller-izing it...We'll see if I actually put it up here or not...since I haven't started drawing it, yet.

Enjoy your holiday if I'm not back before it!

No comments: