Tuesday, November 14, 2006

11-14-06: Prestige, PS3, and more...

Hello all.

First we'll start with the not so good news. SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT of AMERICA sent EB/Gamestop the amount of orders for the Playstation 3, and lets just say they were less than stellar. I'm not slamming MY company with this statement, but imagine having to tell people that you DO NOT expect to be able to fill their order until possibly the 24th of December.

The thing that bugs me about this is simple. I pre-ordered one. In fact, my wife waiting in the morning until I opened up and was the first person there. Now to avoid problems with picking it up, I made sure that both of our names had been added to the listing. NOW...NOW I'm being told I can't pick it up. "No employees will be allowed to pick theirs up one day one," was the statement I received from the company, to which I say this is unfair. The amount of people picking these up on day one and selling them on EBAY is about 90% of the initial orders, and we all know it. However, an employee would lose his job if he placed it on EBAY...meaning...the employee who ordered one is more likely to be the beneficial customer you want to have pick a unit up.

Anyway, just figured I'd vent that.

Christy and I went to see THE PRESTIGE last night, Chris Nolan's first film since Batman Begins. Let me start by saying I enjoyed it, though it ran a little long. The casting was terrific, as if any time Michael Caine is cast he isn't money right now, but Jackman and Bale really gave you that Batman vs. Wolverine feel that you wanted to see. Its just too bad that in some cases bullets were used instead of batarangs and birdcages were used instead of claws.

Throughout the movie, there was a competitive nature, but it was a very sad film. It was all about seeing who was the better magician, but never who was the better man. It was really interesting to see these characters in such a world where CPR is unavailable, and seeing how they cope with the anguish of everything going on.

The idea that a magician only sells his trick AFTER he retires was pretty cool of a plot point, as well, since both of these men grew on obsession, and neither would quit until one of them was declared the victor.

While not spoiling the end, the movie takes a "Sixth Sense" approach, but one that unfortunately should be spotted right away.

Nolan goes more for his melodrama of MEMENTO than his visual wizardry of BATMAN BEGINS in this film, and that's part of the reason I feel I enjoyed it so much. He keeps you thinking, but again, I felt dropped too many clues about the end well before it ended. Towards the end, it seems to feel like its running long, but you forgive him for tying up the plot.

I liked it, and would recommend it to anyone that has enjoyed his movies.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

How do people justify Drinking and driving today? 30 years ago, no one bothered wth it, and if you were really off your face, the officer who caught you would follow you home.
Today, with all the press, and community exposure, yo would think reasonably ntellgent people would know better. Guess not.

Potsy said...

I guess I appreciate being called reasonably intelligent...but at the same time, everyone in life goes through hard times and make mistakes, no matter whether they know things will get better or not. I fell victim to one of those times, but I have made changes in my life, my behaviors and how I handle situations... and because of such, unlike others, I have created reasons why it won't happen again. And I'm proud that I have made those changes.