Sunday, December 17, 2006

12-17-06: Critics and artists agree, DEAD SONJA IS A HIT!


Hey everyone, I figured I'd look up to see if people have been reviewing the parody DEAD SONJA: SHE-ZOMBIE WITH A SWORD, and I figured I'd post up some places I saw online reviewing it...


http://arellis49.livejournal.com/275860.html - Roscoe Ellis' livejournal where he said, "I'll give this delightfully delicious parody the review it deserves," and here's the actual breakdown from him...


I'll let Freddie J go after him for using full page scans and delivering too much of the plot, but I'll accept the positive review :).


The art you see is the "DEAD SEXY" version of the cover, from Remy "Eisu" Mokhtar, also the artist of part three, and here's a link to what he had to say about the story and everyone else's opinions as well...http://darkkof.livejournal.com/119960.html It gets noted that I am the sole writer later in what they say, but it's cool! I'm just glad to have worked with three ULTRA TALENTED ARTISTS!
My old buddies at Broken Frontier actually posted this bit:
• Dead Sonja: She Zombie with a Sword #1: Sword and sorcery comics are making a comeback, especially Robert E. Howard-based characters such as Conan and Red Sonja. Another popular genre that has gained popularity in more than one medium is the Zombie Story. Both story types are ripe for parody. But what do you do if you don’t have time to poke fun at each one individually?

If you’re like Owen Gieni and Robert Blatant, you combine the two and come up with Dead Sonja. Yes, it’s a zombie version of Red Sonja. Is it unique? That would depend on the execution. If it’s successful, does this mean we will see more zombie parodies in our future? Quite possibly. Use that as a determination on whether or not you want to buy this book.
Owen Gieni (W), Robert Blatant & various (A), Blatant Comics, $9.99. One-shot
Now, unfortunately, they didn't make mention of me being a writer on the book, but alas, its publicity for the title.
"Dead Sonja She Zombie With a Sword is just begging to be read... along with Zombies VS. Robots. " - From a poster on SILVERBULLETCOMICS.com
Hey, I also get blasted in LASVEGASWEEKLY.com....
"Dead Sonja, She-Zombie With a Sword No. 1 Blatant Comics
Writer Rob Potchak Jr. and publisher Blatant Comics get plenty of points for marketing genius, coming up with one of the best and most inspired titles for a comic book this year, and one that pretty much sums up the current state of the industry's mainstream. But then they lose those points and more for delivering a dreadfully unfunny and occasionally even shockingly offensive parody story.
The book takes zombie comics and barbarian comics, the two most popular non-superhero genres of the moment, and squishes them together into a book whose title is a clever rhyming riff on Red Sonja, whose current publishers no doubt wish they had thought of making a book by this title first.
But much like the already forgotten movie Snakes on a Plane, the title is the best part of the experience, and once you get past that, it's all downhill. "
But hell, at least they got my name right :). As to what this writer found OFFENSIVE... well, we cut out all those parts, so giminy...what book did they read?
And now finally one last bad review...
Dead Sonja, She-Zombie with a Sword #1 (Blatant Comics) Well, it had to happen sooner or later, didn’t it? I’m sure Dynamite Comics, who currently own the rights on Red Sonja comics and sell plenty of zombie-related comics due to their rights on Army of Darkness comics are kicking themselves for not thinking of this first. Hell, I know I am, and I don’t even own a comic book company. Writer Rob Potchak Jr. and Blatant certainly get props for coming up with a genius idea and title, but there’s nothing inside the book as remotely clever or well executed as the title, logo and covers (they even have several variant covers, ala Dynamite’s Red Sonja books). The black and white art, by Owen Gieni, Ap. Furtado and Remy “Eisu” Mokhtar (that’s Eisu’s cover pictured) is all decent, and done in a fun, loose style, but few of the jokes are very funny. Of course, seeing as the sixth page of this 48-page comic includes a rape-related joke, it’s hard to find anything that follows even remotely chuckle worthy, as that’s a pretty reprehensible thing to include in any story, let alone one as unserious as this.
and now a rebuttal...
Does anyone realize that I DOWNPLAYED the "rape" scene as much as one can DUE TO THE FACT THAT IT IS INSTRUMENTAL IN WHO RED SONJA *NOT THE PARODY CHARACTER, BUT THE REAL CHARACTER* is...? My god, folks...I stayed TRUE to the origin... was it a poor choice? No. It was integral in what makes the character. It seems obvious that the offensiveness spoken of from a city that PROSTITUTION is LEGAL is bogus, and unfounded. It is downright deplorable when you stay true to a character's origin and get blasted for it. Good thing these sites aren't reputable...hehe.
BACK TO GOOD REVIEWS!
"Dead Sonja, She-Zombie with a Sword: This is a black-and-white, 48 page indie book parody that is just incredibly funny. Witness, for instance, Zombie Sonja killing an enemy by crushing him between her breasts." - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=69130039 - Eric at Myspace.com
Well, this post has gone on long, and it seems only the people that really matter (FANS OF COMICS WITH A SENSE OF HUMOR) have enjoyed the book, but hell, I don't care...when I get placement next to Jeph Loeb and Darwin Cooke in lasvegasweekly.com, I'll take that as a positive...

3 comments:

HiPpYcHiCk said...

ix85I'd give you a good review anytime.
Oh wait, were we talking about your comic?

HiPpYcHiCk said...

Wow, I didn't type that number shit. Our computer is haunted.

Roscoe Ellis said...

Dead Sonja was one of the best comic books to come out in 2006, parody or otherwise. And you're to be congratulated for your part in creating it. I'm sorry if my postings at Roscoe's Comics included more material than you thought apprpriate. My only intention was to bring this excellent comic book to the attention of as many people as I could, and to encourage them to buy the book for themselves.

This really is a classic parody and a great comic in its own right, It should be in every serious collector's collection, imho.