Today was a prime example of why *I* am a manager in my job, and those that believe they can do the job, are just the underlings that they will probably forever be. Today, I went into work 2 hours early, doing interviews for managers, and part time positions at another store. I did not get to my store until almost 5 hours after my shift was supposed to start. When I got there, this is what I walked into.
-
-
-$500 in sales.
-Our shipment was not done
-Our trade ins had not been processed.
-We had to ship 100 pieces of PS2 because we don't carry it
-The other person took a BUSINESS Check, which we don't allow.
-The business check was accepted as a TRAVELER'S CHECK
-
-
So Okay, I went in stride, I didn't bust his balls too much, his numbers were decent, he just hadn't completed ANYTHING. Why? I don't know, the guy has been there for 3 years, knows what's expected and everything else.
So I get there, I double the sales in an hour (while I send him to lunch), I ship off the 100 pieces of PS2, accept the rest of the shipment and not only process, but PUT AWAY ALL 150 pieces of everything else, all between 445 and 600pm. This is insane. He leaves at 7:15, and my regional manager walks in while there are 6 other people are in the store, and I'm helping a customer with a wifi issue, but my boss's boss walks in and says, "So, do these folks have the plague, or...?" And I kindly let him know I was helping one specific person with their issue, but had acknowledged everyone. I also let him know the other person was off, and after about 3 other questions, my Regional and his family discussed what they wanted to get and then left without getting anything, and him saying, "You have a few holes on the walls..."
Are you kidding me? I busted my ass, fixed all but (are you ready for this) SIX holes on the walls, and that's only because the six people had probably picked up games they didn't want, and instead of placing them back where the hole was, made a new spot for them, leaving the open space on our wall.
This was not the moment to state, "Hey, I deserve a promotion..." And it wasn't even the moment to go, "Do you know what I did in the last two hours...?" This was a "Yup, I'll fix those SIX holes in about three minutes, when I get a second." and then fix it in 30 seconds.
I didn't take it as bad, I took it as, matter of fact, and that's what I think it was. I asked how a new manager was doing, he stated, "Good...they may even be better than you..." and my response was a humbled, "I'm not the best, I'm trying to become the best," and noticed him just accept that, as if my "cocky attitude" had finally been molded into something more formidable.
I don't feel beat up by him anymore, I feel ready. I don't feel scared, I feel prepared. I don't worry about his visits anymore, but had I not worked harder than I work at christmas today, before he arrived...I may have felt his wrath like I did the first time I met him.
Funny thing is...I wasn't expecting him...I was expecting more from my team.
No comments:
Post a Comment