Thursday, July 19, 2007

7/19/07: About as crazy as a rainbow trout in a carwash...?

We'll start here with an update on THE ARDY VANSTARR ADVENTURES. Recently, I made a comment about the creators of this webcomic being hacks...well, we are not really hacks, folks. Both JK and I work very hard with our respective portions of the comic, and have fallen behind because we are doing everything we can to support our families. Unfortunately, TAVA is not a paying gig. At some point, we would love it to be, but at the moment, its not. Because of this, we both have day jobs, and we both enjoy a little free time to be ourselves...this causes, on occasion, a lack of ample time to complete the pages we are trying to deliver at top quality.

I have seen the next seven or so pages from JK, who is now going to a left to right panel structure to give it more of a webcomic feel than its current iteration, and they are just as high on quality as all the other pages he's delivered, so when we've got them lettered and ready to post we will conclude the current story and jump into the next one.

Anyone who watches professional wrestling knows who Jim Cornette is. The old manager that used to carry a tennis racket down to the ring. But it wasn't just any tennis racket, this racket (covered in its case) was strong enough to take down even the biggest opponents. Well, the subject title for this blog comes from him, tonight, since that's a direct quote from him as he was speaking to a near-naked Kurt Angle on tonights TNA IMPACT. It just struck me as one of those lines that makes no sense, but suddenly you want to say it a couple times to see the kind of reaction it gets.

Recently, Eric Kent, a longtime collaborator of mine on comic projects, asked if he could show some of his pages from his work on two of our long delayed projects, TAGGER and THIEF on his upcoming website. I told him I had no problem with it, but I didn't want him to show off all artwork, because I didn't want to give away the whole stories...of course, that's part of the problem. I've had next to no time to overlook these scripts and figure out where I want them to go, and this has caused Eric to move onto other projects, even though, like me, he knows both are solid comics, and deserve the best treatment. A couple days ago, I got the itch to start updating the Elisalandis.com website with new material, ie, TAGGER. TAGGER was always to be the sequel of sorts to LANDIS, while explaining the past of recurring character, Janus Tagger. He was such a great character as I wrote the initial LANDIS series, and I really wanted to develop him alone, and his origin, which takes him to different corners of the globe. Eric has drawn probably 25 pages of this story already, and I've asked him to send me high-rez copies of the pages, or 600dpi jpg files so I can start lettering and inking them, so that hopefully, by the start of next year (at the latest), TAGGER begins on the elisalandis.com website under the same update terms as LANDIS originally did.

No timetable on THIEF, since I want that story to be perfect before I display it to the world.

In the world of comics, this week, I'd recommend ALL the World War Hulk books (except Ghost Rider), Justice League of America (which reminded me of the Tarantino episode of CSI) and I actually enjoyed the Wolverine Origins ANNUAL that came out this week. Oh, NEXT WEEK the Death of Sabretooth I mentioned earlier happens...Gotta hand it to Simone Bianchi, that man KNOWS how to leave little doubt that its over for him...and amazingly, its NOT on the last page.
Yes, I've seen it, since Marvel included it in their preview books this week.

Next weekend starts my vacation, where I'll be in the usual family spot of Sea Isle City, NJ, as well as my normal trip to Atlantic City the follwoing week. I can't wait. It would be easy to say I was burned out, but I don't think it really says it all. I'm exhausted with all the stuff going on, I've got a pulled hamstring and other things going on at work, so I'm just beat.

No comments: