Thursday, August 17, 2006

8/17/06: Email from Joe Quesada.

For those of you that read online comics only, and have no idea who Joe Quesada is, he's the Editor In Chief (or the EEK as he says) of Marvel Comics, and a very good guy. I like him, even though other comic book people don't...He's done me right as long as I've emailed him, instant messaged with him, etc. So the other day, I just sent him an email. I've posted the entire email from me at the bottom of this post, and his response is just above it.

The guy gets like 500 emails a day. I'm not saying I'm special because he replies to mine, but he responds almost every time I email him now...not long colorful emails...just one liners mostly, but he replies...not like the guys at DC, and not like the guys at Image...so here's the email that I sent, talking about the inker Marvel uses for a newly exclusive artist, named Leonard Kirk. An excellent artist on his four issue Detective Comics run, I *personally* felt that Marvel was under utilizing him based on the finish artist that put on top of him...his finisher at DC, Andy Clarke made his work look like Travis Charest, my favorite artist... so here's the email.

-----------------------------


Thanks for the suggestion Rob.

JQ

-----Original Message-----
From: RPotchak@aol.com
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Sent: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 8:00 PM
Subject: Leonard Kirk art and who should be inking him.

Joe,

Upon seeing that Leonard Kirk signed an exclusive with Marvel, I was
ultra excited based on his work that I saw in Detective Comics. The
man's work looked a lot like Travis Charest, though he was able to do
monthly work. What more could someone ask for?

Then I saw AGENTS OF ATLAS #1. I still liked the composition of the
book and Leonard's storytelling, but that intricate line work that was
so very great in Detective, was no nowhere to be found.

I don't know how many other people have made this request, but they
should, and do so in droves, but I suggest getting Leonard's finisher
artist, Andy Clarke, from his Detective work to finish him from now on
instead of whomever Marvel has inking him. Not only will it look
better, but it may bring more followers of his previous work BACK to
look at his new work.

I would also recommend the same inker for Olivier Coipel, since he is
known as an avid Charest fan, as well, and it would just add another
element to the work.

If you want a listing of the Detective issues I'm speaking about, they
are #817-820, featuring Simone Bianchi covers and written by James
Robinson.

I guarantee sales would increase with Clarke inking Kirk...since we
don't get enough Charest work on this side of the ocean.

Thanks for the consideration.

Rob Potchak

-----------------------

See? Just a one line response...and if he really takes it into consideration, I'll be a happy fan.

No comments: