Saturday, August 05, 2006

Post 317 (8/5/06): New gig...and everything else.

Let's start with what has me down right now...

I started my new job a month ago, with the intention of growing in it, and trying to develop a career...yesterday, before I got home from vacation, I began looking for another job. Why?

Because its the stupid corporate world where you are doing it for someone else. It isn't like a government job where you can grow old in it, and heck, maybe even excel to the point of making a difference, it is simply doing someone else's work for them, and half the time, the people you work for can't even do the job you are doing, so why the hell should they be ahead of you in the game?

I applied for a job with the State Lottery, as well as a corporate sales position with a top computer company...why? Because the money is decent, the benefits are good, and I could start my own family...the only other type of job that would be truly possible in...

My own business...and trust me, I'm talking with someone about the possibility of that, too...but will it happen? I'm not sure. I want it to, even though the amount of effort, work, drive and motivation would be solely on my shoulders there...but I want it.

To own my own comic store, or at least be a business partner with an established comic store owner, working in it day to day to further my own stock in the building until one day it would be my own...THAT'S what I want...and I could be successful at it...the hard part would be finding the niche to get the guaranteed sales...and to drive the business so that you could make a profit...and in a comic store...that may take years...but would it be worth it?

I think so...and so does my wife, as long as I also sold art supplies from it... so paints, papers, canvas, you name it, she wants to sell that too...I just want to be able to cover the bills, have benefits and go from there...hell, if I was running a comic shop, I could be writing my own books...which speaking of which...

Today I got a new writing gig. From a gentleman by the name of Frederick J Blatant III, the publisher of Blatant Comics...yeah, I thought they were gone, too, but this October, I am writing a book titled DEAD SONJA, and yes, its a parody book in the style of my previous ones, EboniX-Men, Busty: The Vampire Murderer and Busty vs. XXXena.

Here's the cool thing about it. I wrote the entire FIRST 16 page story for the book already...when? Today. and its actually decent. I hope Freddie gets a good artist on it, but amazingly enough, for ALL Landis fans out there...this will be the FIRST collaborative effort from Owen Gieni and myself SINCE LANDIS...He's done the cover for it, which I'll see if I can get a link for.

The book will be 48 pages of story...and will consist of three different 16 page stories. It'll probably be in black and white, but under the off chance that it actually does enough orders in the solicitation (Diamond Distributors, the #1 distribution chain in comics gave it a SPOTLIGHT feature), we may see it happen in color.

Also, something on the LANDIS front for all you folks that still come here from time to time hoping for new story or art from her...

I was chatting with Keenspot's publisher, Chris Crosby earlier today about LANDIS VOLUME 1, and he said that due to the movie treatment that I wrote for it, that he may fast track the trade paperback collection edition of the book, so that he can place it into hands of people that actually make decisions of tv series or movies... Now remember, since Keenspot got "YOU DAMN KID" picked up by Fox, people have been waiting for the next big project from them...I can't tell you who we are talking to about this, or who its been sent to, but trust me, the treatment is good... so good in fact that I want to run it as the NEXT Landis book....but a new artist is needed for it...

Anywho, I've probably said TOO much, and since this is my longest blog post in a while, people may not actually read all that. I just hope the LANDIS V.1 gets published soon, because I want to make sure that ANYONE who wants a copy of the WHOLE book, IN FULL COLOR AND FULLY LETTERED gets to see EVERYTHING they were hoping to...and who knows, I may even be able to sneak the 25 page ARDY: CTNS 10th Anniversary Director's Cut into all that, too...

Now all I gotta do is find out how much Blatant is going to pay me, AND try to get both Eric and JK a pinup page in the DEAD SONJA book...heh.

No comments: