Monday, July 18, 2011

543: Busting your ass and getting nowhere from it...

Today was one of those days where I did everything that only a handful of folks would attempt to do, and yet, I really don't think it pushed me further to the ultimate goal of moving up in the company...again.

I was at work at 8am, a full 30 minutes before my shift started, due to medical complications on my boss's part, leading me to take point today in our "office" day of work that needed to be completed, including handling two conference calls, contacting every store in the area to see if they completed certain aspects of a sales end were taken down, etc.  Are there others that would be doing these things had I not stepped up, today? Probably, however, I believe I'm doing these extra tasks and getting nothing for it.

My store has been the best performing store in my district for over two straight years, and it's still going. Not just top ranked, but also, in the top 5% of the entire company, and still striving to be better.  I've been told I can't apply for a District Management position because I haven't been an Area Manager, but I also haven't been interviewed for the position of Area Manager, nor does my region currently have ANY people in that position. If there ARE any people in that position, I haven't heard about it, and I tend to hear just about everything.

I'm tired of it. Those who hear me talk about my job realize that I like what I do, I love being able to make people happy with my recommendations, and I love when I see the kids grow up in front of my eyes...but there are aspects of my job that just WASTE MY TIME AND ABILITY...and here we...go....

I should not be hiring 18 year old kids and trying to get them to understand the necessity of strong work ethic anymore. I should be training managers to manage. That's where my strength lies. I shouldn't be teaching someone how to ring out a transaction on the register, I should be teaching them to get others to do that with their time so they can manage their building.  I should be able to tell people that are currently in MY position how to be successful, and force them to listen...instead of pleading with them to just "please, take my advice."

So many people are "in the right place at the right time..." I don't know the last time this happened to me, I really don't. I have definitely gotten myself into the WRONG place at the WRONG time, but I've never had a job that I wanted fall into my lap, to where I can get myself to where I want to be.  And I'm tired of it. I am successful in what I do, but I'm wasted talent.

I'm Crash Davis in Bull Durham. Obviously, the long term guy that knows his place (apparently), but never quite making "The Show" to finally BE THERE.

Last year I won a Leadership Award at our Manager's Conference. It was an honor, it was something that made me really feel like I was going somewhere, and then, my regional manager left, and I was left being told, "Your professional growth may have been hindered by your former upper management..." do you know what that means? Those two years I was top 400 in the Company, I was being led on, not developed and fell behind in the "I wanna move up" department.

I'm tired of being led on, I'm tired of being told "if you keep doing what you are doing, people will take notice." If they have taken notice, I don't see it. I don't feel it, and I'm starting to feel like I'm wasting my time.

I know what they are looking for. I speak my mind TOO much, it seems, and that is a demerit in this corporate world, but honestly...I'm busting my ass...and you are wasting me away.  Don't lose talent. Build them, like you demand I do...take me under the wing so that I may help you be more successful...but no, I'm not sure they know how to do that.

They feel that by giving me a book I can learn what they mention in passing, but without mentoring and experience, there is none of that.

That's why they have been failing...and why I feel like I'm wasting my time when I should be receiving praise for my hard work.

No comments: