Monday, July 25, 2011

545: Five years and this is the thanks I get...

So July 2nd was my five year anniversary with my current company, and let my state that it is the longest I've been employed by the same company ever. Sad, I know, but I was at Jersey Mike's Subs for 4 years, Best Buy for four years, Godiva for a year and AT&T for 2 and a half before this. I like my company, as the company seemingly tries to show it's appreciation to it's employees, while wrestling with the idea of being an NYSE company that always answers to the call of the almighty dollar. I get it, that's the business I'm in and understanding that, I know why we don't have payroll floating at all time high levels and why value on buyback is lower, I really do get that, but did I see myself getting a certificate for five years and a USB thumbdrive while I beg for a promotion? No.

Someone else got the promotion I have asked about for three years and I'll shed my disdain here.

I've been told you have to rank well and have the processes in place to get promoted. I'm in the top 7% of the company for the third straight year, higher than the two that have been promoted ahead of me the entire time.

I've been told I have to run a larger store to get it. While one of the managers is in a higher volume store, the other is roughly the same size and I've run mine with less payroll all year.

I've been told you need to get people promoted.  Now granted, I've had two guys ready to go, but since my boss fell asleep, no one else created openings, but I was able to recruit better that I the other two guys,  AND NEITHER of them have promoted anyone either. In fact they want to move my assistant to another Store so that I can take on another "project" and when I asked why not give the project to one of the guys promoted,  I was told, "He tends to do better with his own people, and you are better with Policies and Procedures..." WHAT?! REALLLLLLY?!

I dunno about any of you reading,  but that sounds like a design flaw that will be the death of that position he just got...If he only works well with people he hires or works with, how is he supposed to train someone to be a good manager?

I don't get it. It just drives me bananas,  and then it dawned on me. BOTH of the other guys have had other jobs on the table, one even left the company only to tuck tail between his legs and come back less than six months later...me? I've been the company guy with a big mouth. I've not put my resume out in five damn years because I thought I'd get somewhere, and I don't think I have that vote from people above me to get there.

Also, I don't kiss anyone's ass. I'm a gown ass man, my commendations, contest victories and ranks should say enough for who I am and what I've done...so fuck you if you think I need to polish the fucking corporate unit to get somewhere. They should be begging to suck my cock to keep me, and that's my attitude now. Suck it Trebeck.

To prevent any trouble: This message is the personal opinion of Rob Potchak and is not in any way, shape or form the opinion of the corporation he works for.

No comments: