Alright, I'm totally going to "Guy out" here. I HATE Valentine's Day. And I used to manage a Godiva Chocolatier...I REALLLLLLLY Hated it then. I know I have some female readers, so I'm going to try to explain my rationale.
Valentine's Day is what guys call a Hallmark Holiday. A day created by big business to push more unusable product on more people, and to generate sales for companies going through a quarterly slump. Look at it...Days like that are: Valentine's, Secretary's, Boss's, Mother's Day, Father's Day and others...now, sure, we all love and respect our wives, girlfriends, mothers, fathers and secretaries for those that have them, but that's why we celebrate their birthdays and Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanza, whatever...that's TWO days a year that we splurge for loved ones...
Me? I have Christmas on the 25th, wife's birthday on Jan 12th, Valentines (today), Easter (march or april), who knows whatelse (at some point, Mother's day) and it goes on.
I hate Hallmark days. There's nothing that tells a loved oen you love them as much as seeing 45 Zales, Kays and Jared commercials between an episode of 24. Obvious marketing of Valentine's gifts to a male oriented program...it just bugs me.
I'm sure lots of you like today, and some guys may actually get nice gifts, too, but I just personally don't like daysthat force me to say something I say twenty times a day anyway.
I hope you female readers don't hate me for this, since I've already given my wife a nice stuffed animal and a dozen roses, and will be taking her out to dinner and a movie tonight...just to show you that as much as I hate it...it still gets "practiced."
No comments:
Post a Comment