Sunday, June 25, 2006

Posts 300-305: Art and fun fun stuff.

Alrighty...I was going to just post the THREE HUNDREDTH blog post today, but because of the special occassion, I went all out with it. As this is now actually post 305, with lots of really cool art on here...and now time to explain what they are...

The first piece (at the bottom of the five pieces), is the Heroes Convention poster that's given away to all attendees of the show, from Arthur Suydam, the fantasy painter. It's actually a recreation painting of Captain America #100 done into the new fad of Marvel Zombies.

The second piece of art is actually what's going to be given away to anyone who preorders their 3 day passes for the show. It's drawn by Bryan (ULTIMATES) Hitch, who is Marvel exclusive, but has always wanted a shot at drawing Superman, so he's done it. Since Christy and I have pre-ordered 3 day passes, we'll be receiving one each, so one to frame and one to do whatever...

The third piece of art is as it says, from my favorite comic artist, Travis (METABARONS) Charest. Here's the thing with this guy...he lives in France, and this is his only american con this year (or so I've been told). He is also one of those artists that is like IMPOSSIBLE to get original art from (I've got a poster autographed, but that's it). Here, he's drawn Captain America from the 40's, and as you can see, it's a piece of genius. Don't expect to see TOO much from him, as he's been working on a Metabarons graphic novel for what seems like 3 years now. For current work, look at Dark Horse Comics KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC, which he's currently painting the covers for.

The fourth piece of art is a piece I recently purchased, and is by none other than John (ASTONISHING X-MEN) Cassaday. Unfortunately, he's not going to make the Heroes Con this year, and he's a really cool guy...I got to talk to him for about 2 hours when Astonishing started 2 years ago at this convention. He's totally the GQ artist. But he's so down to earth, he didn't mind just talking...

Neither did Tony Harris or Tom Feister of Ex Machina, either, as they were also part of the 2 hour discussion. I thanked them for taking their time away from deadlines to come out and see fans because they probably didn't get thanked enough.

Finally...the last piece of art...Mark Texeira's Ghost Rider. This one is a pencil sketch done on FCBD this year. I love this man's work, and him and his brother-in-law, Javier Saltares are going to be at the show this year, promoting their new GHOST RIDER series written by Daniel Way. And though I'd love to get a sketch of Ardy or Landis from him, he's never really seemed like that personable of a guy to be able to ask that to...unlike Brandon Peterson, Cully Hamner (and the Gaijin Studio guys), Mike Weiringo, Tim Townsend (Who won't be there this year, booo) and others that just seem really grateful to have people looking at their work. Tim Townsend gave me some great black and white prints because we used to talk online back in the day before artists couldn't go online because they'd get hounded for commissions or whatever.

I really miss those days.

Well, I'm going to end this anniversary blogpost now, but please, if you'd like, share your favorite blog moment in the comments, since this is such a momentus occassion.

Thanks for reading, and here's to another 300 posts!

No comments: