Sunday, February 18, 2007

2-18-07: ARDY VANSTARR ADVENTURES UPDATE and more.

Welcome to the second dual post blog from me, as I take you down the elevator that is www.ardyvanstarr.com and the comic it represents, The Ardy Vanstarr Adventures.

Last night, while on the computer, I realized that I had been slacking off while lettering and posting the pages because I can't keep my attention span on stuff I've "already written once." Re-typing something that I've already typed is kind of a pain in the ass, but a necessary pain in the ass.

JK had sent me the first 18 pages of TAVA, which look great. The first 6 or so can actually be seen over at the aforementioned site, "ardyvanstarr.com." It all revolves around a character that I created in 3rd grade named Ardy Vanstarr (this was 1986). We flash forward to about 1993, and Ardy gets his first real comic adventure, entitled City Of Illusion from Illusion Studios and 5th Panel Comics. Now though he had been seen in SCC Entertainment's Hit SCORN series in backup stories, he didn't get his first real role in a comic until 2003's LANDIS, where he played the Paranorm PI that he is today. Anyway, JK had sent over all 18 pages, and even added some scenes where there hadn't been any before, ala "the Marvel method" of plotting, then writing. I took this as a good challenge to get me to write more, and started looking at the script, and while going for a Noir'y feel, decided it was time to liven it up, move some stuff around and get to the meat of it.

One thing I've always been beat down for as a writer is being "Claremonty" which means putting way too many words into the work and not letting it do itself justice. Because of this, I decided to let some of it speak for itself where I'd normally add in a panel of writing, and have just kind of tried to give readers a feel for this guy...that he's not from here, so he finds some things funny we don't, he likes Back To The Future, and he gets his jobs done, no matter the risks.

Well, I've now gone ahead and re-written the first 18 pages, and they flow better, now. They've got a sci-fi, humor, noir feel, and that's how I like it. JK and I will be discussing a two-parter for the annual FREE Keenspot Primer, and try to introduce some characters there that will be showing up in TAVA later...that ought to be fun.

Also, I'm still talking with Blatant about the Dead Sonja sequel and will probably start penning it in the next two weeks or so...after that, I gotta start the alcohol self-assessment classes before July 1st, so...yikes.

No comments: