Wednesday, February 07, 2007

2-7-07: Dissection of a comic page...

























What've we got here? Well, we have page 9 of The Ardy Vanstarr Adventures...the first pic, we have the final page that YOU WILL SEE...on March 1st, 2007, what you see in the second pic was the original art for page 9...why the change?

I can't exactly say where an artist suddenly realizes that he doesn't like something he drew... Every artist goes through this...me more than others. I have also noticed that every artist has a tendency to never be 100% happy with ALL pages...so anyway, JK decided he didn't like the page and I told him I thought it looked good...

However, having now seen (and lettered, obviously) the NEW page 9 of the comic, I have to say that I am MUCH happier with the new page, much like JK himself. Originally thinking the newer cartoony look for Ardy wasn't necessarily the best move, I do see the reasoning behind it, and I am ecstatic to see how smoothly the character takes over the page when he's visible.

Even though we figured that any and every one of our readers would be intelligent enough to distinguish that the "planet" was Earth, we made the conscious decision to give you the real Earth to just make certain that passersby would realize it as well.

Also at first notice of this scene, Ardy in the top panel looked a little off...now, in the new one, he looks much better and tighter...JK even added more detail to his chest area, to show off the build.

Gotta say, the new page looks much better than the original...even without ANY changes to the layout.

No comments: