Thursday, June 02, 2011

528: I used to write fiction...

It's true, I did. I used to write about plagues taking over and killing off large chunks of the populace to make way for only the strong to survive. I used to write funny books about ebonic speaking X-Men, vampire murderers and a lot of crazy shit, back in the day.  So what the fuck happened? 

I got too wrapped up in crappy ass shit in the "real world."  I stopped going balls out and trying to impress the world with my written word, and every good idea I've had has turned into gobbledygook that never gets finished.  Without deadlines, I'm stale.  Without real possibility it will get published, I don't continue to touch it, and I'm not in a creative place in life to where I can get the good stuff published anymore.

I mean, let's just look at some of my past wonders that were never done:

THIEF, a story about redemption after something horrible created the circumstance.
REHAB, the life of a villain, as he believed it to be a disease and not destiny.
DreadMutt, the story of the interstellar bounty hunting dog, always emasculating guys as he beats sense into them,
ARDY, my 1986 creation that I still wear T-shirts for and still want to see happen as a cartoon someday
LANDIS, my "most famous" story, drawn by Avengelyne's artist, Owen Gieni and even cover work from DC's own Ethan Van Sciver, about an immortal in a super-powered world, and her search for Thor's hammer.
TAGGER, the sequel to Landis, as another immortal actually witnesses a virus turn normal humans into zombies, his attempt to save the remnants of humanity, as he finds himself in the process.

I mean, these are just some of the ideas...there's also, Before the Dawn, the revamp of Scorn and much more, yet, I find myself with no interest to continue any of them, least of all, start another.  I am not sure why, but I believe it's because I feel no motivating factor to get this done.  My artwork is not good enough for anything other than photoref work, and even that, people either like it or not, but it would never be good enough for a 22 page comic or a 96 page graphic novel that I'd shop to Image or anyone else.

I dunno, I find myself dragged down by something that prevents me from doing anything about it, but as you all can read, I definitely have the writing chops to pump this out every so often.  I don't get it...I used to write fiction, now I just seem to write "Woe is me."

No comments: