Today, I received an updated submission packet from Platinum Studios and Lee Nordling, their head of submissions. From only talking to him in passing, he seems very cordial to help someone find the next big story, which is good.
The upside is that the company is looking for materials to print into comics, only to then turn around and make movies or TV shows out of them. This means the ultimate thing to any new or aspiring artist/writer, exposure.
The downside...if a company takes a chance on one of these properties, the amount of money that can be earned has a cap, whereas most people who get discovered and sign a movie deal (take Steve Niles for example, who signed for his 30 Days of Night for $1 Million in signing bonus), and it is highly probable that is how they make all of their money.
I'll send LANDIS into them and see what they think. If nothing else, they may say that like one character more than another and that they want to look into doing something with them, or of course, worst case scenario, they throw another Erik Larsen at me, telling me that they aren't looking at it and have no interest in helping someone with a finished project trying to get published.
My biggest thing that I want people to realize is this, I am not looking to make millions on my story, but am looking to get my name out there and write good stories. Sure, I've got my Green Lantern story, I've got my X-Men story, and I've got my Wolverine/Captain America story, but the only way I'll ever get asked to write those is if my smaller more personal stories see print.
Adios all...til next time.
2 comments:
good luck on your endeavors, Wiz
Hey, thanks, Wizbang! I really appreciate it. I'll be posting more about it as I have more info and all.
Happy Holidays!
Post a Comment