Friday, May 05, 2006

Post 279: Marvel Civil War.

There aren't mny times that something like this comes along and you just WANT to tell people to go buy it, but Marvel's Civil War #1 is one of those times. The buildup, the restraint, the realness of it all...I told Christy, my wife, that if she ever wanted to try a comic book this is theone to do it with. With someone like me able to tell her who the characters are, why they feel the way they do and why it just feels real makes this a must buy book.

I really have to give credit to Mark Millar, who once again proved that he, more than Brian Bendis, deserves whatever work with Marvel he desires. He didn't want this project when it began, but he slowly embraced it and then it flourished in him. He knows how to make it as large in scope as possible, while still showing how it affects one person. Hell, Hollywood should take advice from him.

Steve McNiven is my new favorite artist, ever since I picked up 4 #1. His style is just different. Different enough to make you take notice. Bryan Singer said that McNiven was the only guy when it came to illustrating his vision of Ultimate X-Men (still not out). This is where the man shines. He's really putting heart into those hearty moments that Millar has written.

I was opposed to Captain America being against the Registration Act because he's a soldier and wuold typically do what his government asks...however, in this case, it isn't how America IS that makes him do what he does, its where the ideal of where AMERICA SHOULD BE that makes him choose his side.

Beautifully written, illustrated and colored, I'd LOVE to see this turned into a cartoon, or live action...its just, it can't. Too big of a budget on either count, I'm sure.

If you had thought about going to a comic store this week, Saturday is FREE COMIC BOOK DAY, and I have a two-page spot in the Keenspot Primer for The Ardy Vanstarr Adventures with JK Radtke (beautiful art, btw). But if you do nothing else, PICK UP A COPY OF CIVIL WAR #1...you won't be sorry you did.

Even the tradedress is a nice touch.

No comments: