My wife and I both write blogs. On hers, if she doesn't receive a reply from it, she feels disconnected from the world, however, when she gets folks responses, not only does she know that people are reading her blog (which you can see from the hits counter), but it gives her a sense of accomplishment...or something.
With me, I write because I want a running journal of day to day experiences, but a real writer doesn't write to see what other people have to say, they write for themselves. And I'm NOT knocking on my wife, as I know that she writes her blog for her...she just writes it for her, and hopes that everyone in this world gets an understanding of how she feels...and lets her know about it.
After posting the simple 1000 hits on myspace blog that I did yesterday, 27 people hit the page. That sent me over the 1000 hits spot and today's will probably bring in that many more hits, yet the only person who generally responds is my wife. Am I not leaving the posts with questions requesting answers, or are people just satisfied with reading and knowing that I'm okay?
Heh, to me it doesn't matter, unless I specifically ask for responses, which I haven't really done since LANDIS was still in regular updates, and I guess I may start to do it a little more frequently to see about getting some responses and seeing how people feel about the things I've written.
I really find it interesting here on blogspot, as well, because the people that respond here seem more interesting that the people on myspace. Not trying to knock all you hobos that are hooked to myspace like a crackwhore looking for a rock, but generally speaking, the people that have posted responses here have been real people...a mother of 4, readers of my comic that I'd love to bring it back for, a young woman who used to be in the second oldest profession...They come here to write, and when they see that someone has written something they can relate to, that's when they post a response.
Sure, my wife is a bartender, and most of our friends spend about 30% of their week in one, so they relate a lot more frequently than I guess people reading about my comic, but alas.
I guess this post is just going to end up being a big rant...tonight I actually start my alcohol intervention classes. They have asked that I remain sober for the six weeks of the program, and I'll comply for the most part. I think that anyone a year after their "incident" has already either made the attempts to correct their behaviors, as I have, or have decided to go back down the wrong path, with drinking and driving an inevitability, as I have not.
They give you workbooks and homework for these classes and make you relive what I would assume to most people was the worst experience of their lives (as is the case with me), where you feel like reliving it is just going to dredge up bad feelings and be against any true help.
I guess since I know I made a mistake, and I told myself I'll NOT drink and drive again, that I have fixed the glitch. Since I don't sugar coat, and all I do is tell what I consider to be the truth, I hold myself to a very high standard.
Do I really feel these six classes should be necessary for me to get on with my life? No...but I thought about it a little more today, and if that accident hadn't occurred, my wife may never have realized how important the US was to her...thus, a blessing in disguise? Yeah... for the car insurance people...fucking rates.
Ultimately, with myself, I don't think its necessary for these classes to make me realize my mistakes...just having to go to court, spend over $4000 and all of that stuff was enough to make me go, "Rob, don't be so fucking stupid...you could have killed yourself, your friend and left this world and people that care about you...or worse, you could have hurt or killed someone else and spent the rest of your life in jail..."
To that, I'm lucky, and thankful...I just wish I didn't have to go somewhere that they will want to hear the why's all over again...we're passed that...can't we just stay past it? (IF you couldn't tell, I wasn't sure which spelling of passed/past I should have used, so I used both...)
No comments:
Post a Comment