Thursday, April 19, 2007

4-19-07: Comics and other.

So today I went to the comic store. This is two of the last three days that I've been there, and I have to say, I'm sorely disappointed by what I picked up...It cost me nearly $90 for two weeks worth of comics...if it continues to be as pointless to pick up comics as it was today, I'll start saving the money and start putting it on all the video games I've pre-ordered...

I picked up the latest issue of Wolverine: Origins the other day and apparently, Logan has a son that he didn't know about until that completely worthless Marvel Even called HOUSE OF M, which started with Promise...then died for 6 issues and 21 pages and then on the last panel of the last page, the scarlet witch (Magneto's daughter) said, "No More Mutants..." and suddenly, there were only 200 or so left. 7 issues and only ONE PANEL was necessary...that's $21 down the drain. Not to mention the HOUSE OF M Spider-Man 5 issue series ($15 wasted), the HOM X-Men series ($15 wasted) and everything else...so anyways, now Wolverine remembers his past...so we've been reading for 30+ years of his, and NOW he just knows his past because some schmuck writer named Brian Bendis had Scarlet Witch whisper those stupid words...huh? Anyway, they give him his memory back, and now he has a second series where it takes 10 issues for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HAPPEN except they bring back a character they killed...because he can project his mind into others now...yeah...whatever.

So that's a title I'm probably going to drop.

I picked up 52 #50 and the entire World War III 4 part series that ALL CAME OUT ON THE SAME DAY...just plain stupid. If you picked these books up, take the miniseries back... you ONLY need to read the 52 #50, because THE ENTIRE MINISERIES is spotlighted in this one book. On the cover, its right, "World War II starts here." However, it should be followed up by "It also ends here, so don't pick up the other FOUR books we forced you to think you need for the whole story..." The ONLY good that came of the miniseries is they TRY to explain WHY the Martian Manhunter has changed his appearance, and they do a freaking horrible job at that, too.

So there's two worthless books. Or technically 5.

Punisher War Journal? Decompression at its worst. Just give me a good story, guys. I'm tired of reading six issues for 2 issues worth of story. THIS is why Captain America #25 was such a jem...it TOLD EVERYTHING...one book...one story...WOW factor #10. WHY do we have to buy all the crap just to get one gem? This is HARD earned money here.

Justice League of America #8. Shane Davis is THE new artist...and his work has been stellar. Couple him with Meltzer and you have what I would HOPE is the #1 book for the month. It is gorgeous, A LOT happens, and you feel like your money is well spent. I really felt like this book deserves the #1 book of the week award, if not the month. It was worth the $3, and since it goes without saying that this miniseries within two series (this is a crossover with JSA) this is going to be worth it since it has Meltzer working with Geoff Johns, Alex Ross, Ed Benes, the aforementioned Davis, Dale Eaglesham and others I'm probably forgetting. WORTH IT, FOLKS... BUY IT.

One for three so far.

Uncanny X-Men...part 11 of 12. Hmm...let's make sure that a lot of the X-Men are off planet for 12 issues so they don't mess up Civil War...shit, it worked for the Hulk, WHY NOT the X-Men, too? At least with this, you have Ed "I'll save the Marvel Universe by my damn self" Brubaker writing it, and I must say, everything this dude touches is gold. I'll stay on ANY book he writes until he starts Bendis-ing.

2 for 4, good.

I saw that Ultimate Spider-man came out this week. I passed. Why? FUCKING RONIN is on the cover. Marvel hasn't even truly gone into WHO is Ronin in Avengers (one of the titles) yet, BUT Bendis, convoluting the ENTIRE Ultimate Universe in 1/6 of the time it took to convolute the original Marvel universe, has decided to bring his half-assed writing talent over to the one book he still seemed to give a damn about. And don't tell me this book is worth $3 an issue. It's not, hasn't been since the Venom story, and even that was only barely readable...the Carnage "saga" of EVERYTHING HAPPENING IN A FLASHBACK was a WASTE of paper and time.

2 of 5.


Did I actually buy any others that I liked? 52 #50 was good, as I said. Trials of Shazam has been interesting. Iron Man was readable.

Ah...NEW AVENGERS and MIGHTY AVENGERS...give me a break. Though bubbles that say EXACTLY the same thing as what they are saying? Does Bendis get paid by the word? We already know that Ultron is a woman so Frank Cho gets to draw a naked woman in a Marvel book, but NOTHING HAPPENED...two issues and NOTHING...New Avengers? Thank you for explaining that Captain America IS dead and the "New Avengers" are wanted...wait...didn't we find that out in Civil War #7 and Captain America #25? Didn't we see that they were going to save Mia in New Avengers last month? Oh yeah...Bendis is writing...nothing happens except the art is nice in both. At least we have that.

I'm not TRYING to be bitter about the entire comic book industry...Marvel Zombies vs. the Army of Darkness has been classic. Its a gem that makes sense AND is written and drawn well. I'm so glad they found people that CARE about those properties.

Sensational Spider-man was horrible, AGAIN...the writer on that book did something amazing on 4 before IT was cancelled, and now...dud.

It is disappointing when you hear about all these GREAT new things coming in comics, and then they turn out to be BORING...or don't ever happen. I don't truly believe that Marvel is ahead with ULTIMATES 3 and ULTIMATES 4, or the J Scott Campbell SPIDER-MAN story. Why should I? If ULTIMATES 3 does NOT start directly after the finish of ULTIMATES 2, at this point (over a YEAR since it was to have finished), WHY is WIZARD reporting it? Don't get my hopes up on anything that hasn't started yet by now...I'm tired of it.

Don't tell me about ULTIMATES 3, ULTIMATES 4, Bryan Singer's ULTIMATE X-MEN issues, ONE MORE DAY, what happens AFTER COUNTDOWN or ANY of that bs. I'm tired of it. GIVE ME A GOOD STORY TODAY DAMMIT.

It's such a disappointing site when I'm comics fan. And I mean that as I wrote it...I am COMICS FAN...as in the industry. You can produce an entire MOVIE in the amount of time it has taken to get the 6th issue of All-Star Batman and Robin the boy wonder out. Hell, Sam Raimi has done it. And it probably cost about the same as Jim Lee's page rate.

Just give me something that is worth it for once guys...before I stop collecting entirely.

No comments: