Monday, November 14, 2005

Eddie Guerrero 1967-2005

If you know me personally, you know that I am a prowrestling fan. "Isn't it fake?" is normally the response I hear when I let the cat out of the bag. Its funny, too, because I feel connected to my childhood by a lot of these overgrown characters in these ridiculous storylines...but then I remember...I write about overgrown characters in ridiculous storylines, and it puts me a little at ease. I've met a lot of comic fans that are also wrestling fans, and I think because in main stream life, they get looked at the same type of way.

Yesterday, the wrestling world lost a brother, a father, a champion, but more than anything, a true man, and a man of God.

Eddie Guerrero wrestled his heart out, and it seems that ultimately, he truly did. He seems to be one of the men that while at the peak of their life, it was all taken away, way too early.

He was 38, and had a wife and three daughters. He worked along side his real life nephew, Chavo, who in actuality was more like a brother...only three years younger.

Its upsetting when you see someone who tries so hard to not only make it in the business, but the same with life. Eddie had personal demons, in the form of drugs and pain killers, but had been clean for four years. It seems the demons found him and did their worst.

It saddens me to see one of the funniest, best and hardest workers not there to entertain me, but I can only imagine how hard this hits the men, women and children he had a direct effect on. I'm sorry he's gone, for partially selfish reasons, but at the same time, for his family and loved ones.

As a true fan of his work, he will be missed.

No comments: