Last night I wrote up a lot of where Landis started...today, I'm going to go more into that, because it really brought back some memories.
I remember when Chris first showed me Owen's samples for Landis, both he and I said, "This is our guy." And that's when Chris went crazy..."We'll do it in full color!" I was shocked. I applauded, with big YAYS! because I knew that this is how my goals in life went...
1) Write comics...(done)
2) Write a comic book that gets published...done when I turned 13, with CITY OF ILLUSION with 5th Panel Comics...the first appearance of Ardy. This was also my second published piece of art, as I drew the cover, and Jeremy Phillips drew the interiors.
3) Write a comic book that cracks the top 300...hasn't happened yet (technically), though honestly, the orders for LANDIS #1 would have been, since it would have been ranked #265 the month it would have come out, had it been profitable...not to mention, the FREE issue did 22000 copies, which back then would have easily broken a top 75...but since it was FREE, it did not show up on that listing. SCORN HEATWAVE sold 6000 copies when it shipped, so technically it was in the top 150 Black and White comics the month it came out...so that was a pretty big step.
4) Get ARDY seen....done. Ardy has been on a T-Shirt of Peter Parker in Sensational Spider-man #21, as well as on a coffee mug in Major Bummer #6, AND his name was on the wall in Uncanny X-Men #346 thanks to Mike Wieringo, Tom Nguyen and Tim Townsend respectively! (You guys all freakin rock, BTW).
5) Get a COLOR Comic published....done as of why this was originally started.
Now the lofty goals...
1) Write a comic for Marvel OR DC.
2) Write Highlander for Dynamite Entertainment (obviously, hehe).
3) Cartoon DEAL for Ardy...
3A) VOICE Ardy...or another character in said cartoon.
4) Movie Development deal for LANDIS.
5) Self-Publish THIEF, though I may strike a deal with Keenspot for that title, as well.
Back to what I was talking about earlier...I want to discuss Owen and his talent. Owen is not just your everyday artist that swipes poses from other artists, and he des not seem to cater his style to what he always wants...he's a true professional. He easily was able to take EVERY written page (except one, hehe) and create a landscape, a horizon and ultimately...the whole picture. I didn't have to give full page descriptions most times with him, I just said what I wanted to see, and he took my vision and made it a beautiful piece of work. I truly don't believe LANDIS would be as successful as it is if he hadn't been doing his top notch art on it. Not saying the story couldn't holdup by itself, but like a movie...it isn't just the actors, its the plot, and the cinematography...and Owen gave it ALL of that.
I was truly rewarded with him on this project. I would probably give a kidney to work with him again.
I would like to also say that I'm sorry I wasn't able to work with Ryan Stegman on #5, since the series had been cancelled for print long before that. He's an extremely talented artist that is doing his own great work on Midnight Kiss from Markosia, and continues to tell me if I get my Marvel book...he "better be" the artist that draws it.
More to come later...gotta get back to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment