Friday, March 23, 2007

3-23-07: Rough times in life are only a fraction of the time we're here to live...

I am sick and tired of certain things in life and I just don't CARE anymore about them. One thing that GAMESTOP has in their mission statement is a simple phrase of "NO VICTIMS." What this means is simple...you sleep in the bed you've made. What does this mean, class?

"You get what's coming to you because you've brought it on yourself..."

Exactly. Very good. I think you deserve a cookie.

Everyone has felt they are the victim before. In some cases, they really are. In other cases, its just because you didn't do everything yourself to dictate a different outcome...prime example.

Kyle works for me. He's a good kid, but he's annoying as shit. However, when he doesn't fill out our nightly paperwork properly, he doesn't get written up because he grates on my nerves, he gets written up because he's been doing paperwork for four months now and he still can not consistently get it right. Who's fault is it that he has been told on multiple occasions how to do it and now he's STILL not getting it? It isn't mine. I'm not a babysitter, and I'm not a hand-holder. I'll teach you...you watch, you put your hands on, you learn, you do it yourself. Its a great lesson in teaching people to be better overall.

I guarantee on the paperwork people get when they lose their job does not say, "I hereby terminate Harry Fnord because I don't like him..." If it happened that way to me, I'd have 6 words to say to that employer, "You can speak to my lawyer."

I had to make adjustments in my life when I took a salary position instead of an hourly one. I almost wished I hadn't, but overall, I can't stay as the low man on the totem poll forever, I need to be able to move up, and make a difference not only in my personal performance, but also in the performance of those around me. One of the adjustments I made when I took my salaried job was simple...realize you are not going to be home as much and realize that your time there is more valuable now than it was before. Good. Why? Because I'm now there about 10 hours less per week than when I made $10,000 a year more as an hourly sales person with commission.

I hate when people play the victim. Hell, I've done it, and I couldn't deal with it. I had to kick myself in the ass, get myself off the floor and make something happen to make me comfortable with who I was, again...and y'know what? I did it.

I made a conscious decision 4 years ago to finally do something with my god given talent of writing. I was published for the first time when I was 13 years old by a publisher, not something silly like a school newspaper. It then took me almost five more years before anything else happened with me and my art...and then my focus of writing.

I stopped writing altogether about 6 years ago because it was going nowhere and I didn't like my output. I wasn't creative and there was a lull...then one day I told myself that I was going to get my comic published, and I did, in May of 2003, during the second Free Comic Book day. In fact, that day, I had 23000 copies of my comic across the country. How many people can say that?

I have been fortunate to have people like Chris Crosby realize that when it comes to writing, I'm decent AND I'm dependable. Any time he gets the itch for a bad parody comic, he knows who to turn to. If he ever needed someone to write something serious, he'd probably still come to me, because he knows I can do that too.

Anyway, I'm rambling about my comic life, which I guess is what this blog is mainly about, but overall people need to accept THEIR RESPONSIBILITY for THEIR ACTIONS. If you want to be a success in life at something, you have to focus all your energy on that until you accomplish it...only then can you take a breath and start another project. Get over thinking everyone is out to get you and its their fault you are in the situation you are...

I know I'm tired of hearing about it over and over from all the people that pick up the wrong type of people, to the ones who drink too much and get stood up because the other person doesn't want to deal with that kind of bullshit, to people who think their boss is out to get them, because you know what? It's a bosses job to get things done...so if you aren't cutting it, you're wasting their time and money...

And when it comes to a place of business like mine...if you are wasting time and money, you need to find somewhere else to be...

No comments: